Real Header

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fun Freebie :: Impulse Control Log

Sad Teenage Girl

My first few weeks as a social worker, one of the issues I was most nervous about working with was self-injury. Even though a few of the college courses touched briefly mentioned some interventions for clients that self-harm, I felt completely ill-equipped!

So, I attended a few workshops and also did some of my own research to find strategies to help clients overcome the depression, negative self-image, and distorted thoughts that accompany self-injury. One of the strategies I found that was used almost universally at treatment programs across the country were Impulse Control Logs. The purpose of these tools is to help clients notice and understand the connections between their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. After they understand some of the thoughts or feelings that trigger their destructive behavior, you can work together to help change those thoughts into healthier, more realistic ones!

Here's a cute Impulse Control Log (in PDF Format) I made and you can have it for free! Several of the clients I've worked with have mentioned it's been really helpful for them, so hopefully it'll work well for your clients too!

Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 8.58.29 AMScreen Shot 2013-05-19 at 8.58.40 AM

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment